Hogar Miguel Magone
Founded in 1997 Hogar Miguel Magone is a non government organization, providing shelter for over 80 children aged between three and sixteen years old in Guatemala City.
The majority of children sent to us are victims of abuse or neglect. We are located on the outskirts of Guatemala City, where we aim to provide the children necessary care and education to help them live rewarding and successful lives.
The children study in public schools, apart from nine sponsored children who attend a private school. In 2008 we also began to work with girls and now we have around 20 living in the Hogar. The Hogar is also involved in a sponsorship program, providing food, medication and education to more than 50 children from Agucate, a village near to the Hogar.
The Hogar is run by local teachers, national and international volunteers and service personnel, who help with the children’s schooling, hygiene, health and recreational activities. We also have a psychologist for the children and skilled locals visit the Hogar who teach the children valuable skills like baking, carpentry, art and IT.
The children’s accommodation is divided by age group – separate buildings for the young boys, middle and elders and one area for the girls. Through the help of volunteers we also have a computer room, TV room for the weekends, bakery and a Chapel.
Email: hogarmiguelmagone @gmail.com
Address Guatemala: Hogar Miguel Magone, 21 Ave 12-85, Aldea, El Aguacate Z.9, Mixco, Guatemala
Articles about Orphan Care
- Because someone cared, lives are being changed in Guatemala. Read on to find out what has happened in our ministry this past year.
- 2018 Mid-Year Report from missionary family in Guatemala. Our ministry has grown substantially, not just in the numbers of those we serve, but in depth and scope.
- Orphan Care – Beyond Orphanages, serving for a lifetime. Lessons about orphan care from a missionary in Guatemala. When does our ministry end? When do we check someone we have been serving off our list and consider them “mission accomplished”? All too often in many orphanages and children’s homes, the moment they walk out the door they are forgotten.
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem of orphan care in Guatemala.
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God. Serving orphans and vulnerable children in Guatemala, we have had to figure out how to do this right.