Village of Hope
Village of Hope is located in San Lucas, Guatemala. The vision for Village of Hope was born out the knowledge that God has a heart for the least of these. Scripture reveals a God who is passionate about the sick, the widow, the orphan, the alien, and the poor.
The purpose of Village of Hope is to provide family, faith and a future to special needs children and vulnerable mothers in a family style setting. Each family living unit consists of house parents and about 8 children or mothers living in a home together on the Village of Hope property. Our hope is to create a family unit as God intended- a family to provide life- long support as well as teach the children to have life values. Another part of our vision is to develop relationship in the Guatemalan Evangelical churches, to come along side of them, educating them on God’s heart for the orphan, as well as open their eyes to the gift of adoption.
The goal of this family style setting is to avoid institutional living and prevent children from being thrown out on the streets when they are 18. Because adoptions are closed in Guatemala there is little hope of the children ever being adopted into families of their own.
By providing Guatemalan house parents (a married couple) who provide care for the children, our children understand that they belong and that someone is investing in their life and their future. They have a mother and father figure to pray with them, help them with their homework, and help them develop as they grow.
In the family style homes, children receive nourishment, education, and appropriate attention. They learn how families live together and how a husband and wife interact and respect each other. The family living is beneficial to their development and will serve them as a model for when they form their own families in the future.
Director: Tod and Amy Block
Telephone Guatemala: +502-4546-14582
Telephone Guatemala: +502-3201-3392
Address Guatemala: Aldea de Esperanza, Calle Real Lote 42, Aldea de Manzanilla, San Lucas Sacatepequez, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Articles about Orphan Care
- Because someone cared, lives are being changed in Guatemala. Read on to find out what has happened in our ministry this past year.
- 2018 Mid-Year Report from missionary family in Guatemala. Our ministry has grown substantially, not just in the numbers of those we serve, but in depth and scope.
- Orphan Care – Beyond Orphanages, serving for a lifetime. Lessons about orphan care from a missionary in Guatemala. When does our ministry end? When do we check someone we have been serving off our list and consider them “mission accomplished”? All too often in many orphanages and children’s homes, the moment they walk out the door they are forgotten.
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem of orphan care in Guatemala.
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God. Serving orphans and vulnerable children in Guatemala, we have had to figure out how to do this right.