Shadow of His Wings Orphanage
Shadow of His Wings Orphanage is currently home to approximately 90 children. Our kids come from a variety of backgrounds - including physical and sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, human trafficking, and/or the loss of both parents. Our goal is to raise these children in a way that they can find peace and experience the healing love of Jesus Christ.
What Makes Us Unique:
Our children live in family units. The boys and girls at Shadow of His Wings live in family units with Guatemalan couples and their biological children, plus up to 12 children from the Home (following the model of Christ and His 12 disciples). This gives our children the experience of being part of a loving family - sometimes the first time in their lives!
Our transition program. Having seen the need for our kids to gain more real world experiences, we started our transition program for kids 17 and up in February of 2011. The young ladies at Casa Magdalena live in the town of Monjas, help manage their own family budget, do their own shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. and have much more freedom to be out in the community and make outside friends.
Our focus on changing the world for Christ. One of the things that surprises people is that our kids, coming from many desperate situations, actively go out into the community to minister to others. Our goal at the James Project is to raise up children who will reach their world for Christ. These children may grow up to be spouses, parents, missionaries, teachers, doctors, lawyers, or whatever else God calls them to, but the family experience they have at Shadow of His Wings will influence them to live their lives for Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit and therefore change their worlds for Christ!
Each one of our homes is named after a person in the Bible.
We currently have approximately 90 kids.
We opened our first boy's home in 2014.
We accept children from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Belize.
Address USA: Shadow of His Wings, Inc., 13615 W. 129th St., Olathe, KS 66062
Address Guatemala: James Project of Latin America, Finca Yalu, Monjas, Jalapa, Guatemala
Articles about Orphan Care
- Because someone cared, lives are being changed in Guatemala. Read on to find out what has happened in our ministry this past year.
- 2018 Mid-Year Report from missionary family in Guatemala. Our ministry has grown substantially, not just in the numbers of those we serve, but in depth and scope.
- Orphan Care – Beyond Orphanages, serving for a lifetime. Lessons about orphan care from a missionary in Guatemala. When does our ministry end? When do we check someone we have been serving off our list and consider them “mission accomplished”? All too often in many orphanages and children’s homes, the moment they walk out the door they are forgotten.
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem of orphan care in Guatemala.
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God. Serving orphans and vulnerable children in Guatemala, we have had to figure out how to do this right.