Semillas de Amor
Built on four acres and located in Parramos, Guatemala (twenty minutes outside of Antigua) Semillas de Amor provides a clean, healthy, and loving home and school for 24 orphaned and abandoned children.
Semillas de Amor’s mission is to raise and educate thoughtful, compassionate leaders with excellent critical thinking skills and a commitment to social justice and civic responsibility. We focus on character and academic excellence in a creative, safe and nurturing environment.
Our children’s home has four classrooms, four large bedrooms, a dining room, a large kitchen, administrative offices, playground and lots of land to run and play.
Our children, both boys and girls, range in age from 5-13 years. Our children attend school at Semillas de Amor. However, recently a new private school opened in the Antigua area that has an excellent academic program. Three of our oldest children have been offered scholarships to attend. Our plan is to have all of our children attend this school when our children are in the 5th grade. Academics are essential, however the children’s social environment is equally important. Our children are being prepared to attend a university outside of Guatemala on scholarship. This is why it is so important for our kids to speak English and receive an excellent education as well as improving their social skills. It is essential that our children have the opportunity to follow their dreams and to be the best people they can be.
Currently our children are involved in English and Kachiquel Maya classes, swim classes and swim meets, choir, guitar, piano and art classes as well as pet therapy. Our seven dogs, 4 of them rescues from the streets of Guatemala, nurture our children’s emotional development and enhance their quality of life as well as teach our children responsibility.
Even though our children are orphans, at Semillas de Amor we believe it is important for our children to learn to give back and not just receive. Our children have given back through community outreach programs, environment activities, and supporting each other for success. To say we are very proud of who these kids are and who they are becoming is an understatement.
Our future goals include opening our preschool to the poorest children in Parramos and in the future a small teaching college. We need better teachers in Guatemala. Most teachers barely have a high school education. They are teaching the same way that they were taught. The only way to change the education system is to train teachers how to teach.
Regardless of what path our children take, to study at the university or vocational training the children at Semillas de Amor will always have a home to return to. We will always be available to counsel, love and nurture our children because we are their family.
Director: Nancy Bailey
Telephone USA: 305-600-4517
Address USA: 2461 Mosswood Lane, Santa Clara CA 95051
Articles about Orphan Care
- Because someone cared, lives are being changed in Guatemala. Read on to find out what has happened in our ministry this past year.
- 2018 Mid-Year Report from missionary family in Guatemala. Our ministry has grown substantially, not just in the numbers of those we serve, but in depth and scope.
- Orphan Care – Beyond Orphanages, serving for a lifetime. Lessons about orphan care from a missionary in Guatemala. When does our ministry end? When do we check someone we have been serving off our list and consider them “mission accomplished”? All too often in many orphanages and children’s homes, the moment they walk out the door they are forgotten.
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem of orphan care in Guatemala.
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God. Serving orphans and vulnerable children in Guatemala, we have had to figure out how to do this right.