Aldeas Infantiles SOS Guatemala
Aldeas Infantiles SOS Guatemala works to carry out actions for the benefit of children, acting as an independent non-governmental organization for social development. We respect different religions and cultures. We work in the spirit of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Through the concept of Aldeas as Infantiles SOS, our organization has been a pioneer in defining a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned children.
Hermann Gmeiner's idea was clear and simple, he challenged us to put it into practice around the world. For more than fifty years we have spread and propagated their idea, considering also different cultures, religions and lifestyles. We have found ways of harmonizing our four durable and universal principles with the social and economic realities of each country. When rooted with care and commitment, our SOS family model of child care is the most appropriate and beautiful response for children who have been abandoned and left alone in the world.
In our daily work we must challenge our children to reach their potential. We must never treat them as objects of charity, we are aware that children must learn to fend for themselves in society, to achieve this we do not have to protect them or fill them with overwhelming love and material comforts. We must try to support each child and each child without ever surrendering but maintaining limits and considering the realities of each society in our hearts and minds.
The people who work in Children's Villages are first and foremost human beings. We give a lot of ourselves and contribute to the care of the children, knowing that the more we give to others, the more we receive. Seeing a boy or girl who was abandoned on the street, growing up healthy, going to school, finding a job and founding his own family, is something that gives so much happiness to the mother SOS and others who joined forces to guide This child or this girl. Together we create an environment in which love can truly grow.
Aldeas Infantiles SOS Guatemala
Address: 9 calle 1-96 zona 3 de Mixco Colonia El Rosario
Telephone: 502-2419-1500 Fax: 502-2419-1512
Articles about Orphan Care
- Because someone cared, lives are being changed in Guatemala. Read on to find out what has happened in our ministry this past year.
- 2018 Mid-Year Report from missionary family in Guatemala. Our ministry has grown substantially, not just in the numbers of those we serve, but in depth and scope.
- Orphan Care – Beyond Orphanages, serving for a lifetime. Lessons about orphan care from a missionary in Guatemala. When does our ministry end? When do we check someone we have been serving off our list and consider them “mission accomplished”? All too often in many orphanages and children’s homes, the moment they walk out the door they are forgotten.
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem of orphan care in Guatemala.
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God. Serving orphans and vulnerable children in Guatemala, we have had to figure out how to do this right.