Shadow of His Wings Orphanage
Shadow of His Wings Orphanage is currently home to approximately 90 children. Our kids come from a variety of backgrounds - including physical and sexual abuse, neglect, abandonment, human trafficking, and/or the loss of both parents. Our goal is to raise these children in a way that they can find peace and experience the healing love of Jesus Christ.
What Makes Us Unique:
Our children live in family units. The boys and girls at Shadow of His Wings live in family units with Guatemalan couples and their biological children, plus up to 12 children from the Home (following the model of Christ and His 12 disciples). This gives our children the experience of being part of a loving family - sometimes the first time in their lives!
Our transition program. Having seen the need for our kids to gain more real world experiences, we started our transition program for kids 17 and up in February of 2011. The young ladies at Casa Magdalena live in the town of Monjas, help manage their own family budget, do their own shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. and have much more freedom to be out in the community and make outside friends.
Our focus on changing the world for Christ. One of the things that surprises people is that our kids, coming from many desperate situations, actively go out into the community to minister to others. Our goal at the James Project is to raise up children who will reach their world for Christ. These children may grow up to be spouses, parents, missionaries, teachers, doctors, lawyers, or whatever else God calls them to, but the family experience they have at Shadow of His Wings will influence them to live their lives for Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit and therefore change their worlds for Christ!
Each one of our homes is named after a person in the Bible.
We currently have approximately 90 kids.
We opened our first boy's home in 2014.
We accept children from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Belize.
Address USA: Shadow of His Wings, Inc., 13615 W. 129th St., Olathe, KS 66062
Address Guatemala: James Project of Latin America, Finca Yalu, Monjas, Jalapa, Guatemala
Articles about Orphan Care
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem. Children are best served in families. We know this, yet in Guatemala, as many as 80 […]
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God.
- Recently I took four boys from an orphanage out for the day and we had a wonderful experience
- That is the whole story of redemption. Starting in the beginning, in the garden. The universe was meant to be our home, it was created as […]
- A few days ago, on March 7th 2017, a riot broke out at Virgen de Asuncion, a government run children’s home in San Jose Pinula, Guatemala. […]