Casa Shalom was founded in 1986 by Dr. Rick and Jan Waldrop, missionaries from the United States. The home began with three children and is now home to 115 children from all over the country of Guatemala. Boys and girls come to Casa Shalom after being orphaned, abandoned, abused or neglected by their families, and sometimes come from families who are simply too poor to care for them.
Casa Shalom means “House of Peace," and we seek to provide a place where children can grow in a nurturing, peaceful environment. We provide the children with 3 healthy meals a day from a menu designed by a nutritionist to meet the needs of our many children who arrive at the orphanage malnourished and underweight. We provide quality health care, clothing and a clean and safe environment where our children can thrive.
At Casa Shalom, we also seek to meet the educational needs of our children, and provide opportunities for them to attend school from preschool through high school, with university education as an option for our young people who graduate from high school.
The most important goal of Casa Shalom is to show the love of Jesus Christ to our children every day. Our desire is that each and every boy and girl at the orphanage come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Each staff member at Casa Shalom is committed to being Christ’s hands and feet to “the least of these.”
Articles about Orphan Care
- 2018 Mid-Year Report. This has been a busy year for us so far! Our ministry has grown substantially, not just in the numbers of those […]
- Orphan Care – Beyond Orphanages, serving for a lifetime. When does our ministry end? When do we check someone we have been serving off our […]
- Orphan Prevention, getting to the root of the problem. Children are best served in families. We know this, yet in Guatemala, as many as 80 […]
- Anyone can love when it’s easy; but, it’s how we respond when things are hard, that truly demonstrates the heart of God.
- A day out with the boys Recently I took four boys from an orphanage out for the day and we had a wonderful experience. Among the […]